Monday 30 May 2011

Witch 2b. The Cretan dance. Fauna appears

Venus Verticordia by Dante Gabriele Rossetti (1828-1882). Wikipedia. Attribution
Venus was also called Verticordia by the Romans since she was capable of 'changing human hearts'. Worshipped during the Veneralia festival (April 1) Verticordia had a temple on the Via Salaria


[Read the Italian original. An Englishman living in Milan, Andy, is helping me with some editing.]

Taken aback by the inexorable trajectory - I was always good with the javelin do you recall Quintus? - the lass however succeeded in propelling herself forward with such impetus that the deadly lance missed her abdomen and tore her tunic at the level of her hindquarters without scratching her flesh I believe.

The force that had driven her forward was so lethal I was thunderstruck.

I therefore took my bow.

Arrows whistled in quick succession though wavered on purpose (unpredictability is deadly, remember?). She nevertheless avoided my darts by performing this odd dance on the rump of her horse (of undoubted Cretan origin, Quintus).

Bull leaping. Minoan fresco from palace of Knossos, Crete, currently in the Herakleion museum

She circled with elegance, an inhuman melody emitting from her throat - a terrible buzz, deep and acute - her fair legs now concealed now flashing through the cracks of her tunic.

And I, closer and closer, our steeds' flanks dangerously scraping against each other, my arrows all gone, what happened Quintus was that I became so enchanted and progressively unwarlike due to that mysterious creature.

Although the worst was yet to come, Di Manes!

After the Cretan dance the girl had assumed a crouched-on-all-fours, feline position on the rump of her stallion, launched at breakneck speed on the forest damp obscure recesses. The siren of the woods had lowered her shoulders, arched her back and pointed her rear upwards whose perfect roundness was thus offered to my view.

A sculpture from the Norman Lindsay House (see last image below for infos). Attribution

The sun bursting through the clouds heralding a spectacular sunset, the noise of animals becoming deafening, I was there, those half & symmetrical moons in front of me, so close that I could almost touch them, a pale-skinned double globe with designs of a delicate blue.

Her garment lacerated by my pilum on her hindquarters did not keep much from sight Quintus! Geometries made sensuality, ideas of beauty made flesh were exposed and stirring deliria of sumptuous pleasures and everlasting feelings of lust & love.

Well, such unchaste commotion, dear friend of better days, ended up with being fatal to me.

The flaming haired maiden took advantage of my confusion and making use of the arm hidden from my sight grasped, from her bag, strings to whose ends small brass spheres were attached.

She then hurled the strange weapon with such vehemence in the direction of Hælend's legs that both horse and rider - that is, us – couldn't but fall to the ground with a loud crash due to the speed of the race.

The tattooed female's craftiness, however, cost her dearly as well since her stallion (was he confounded also?) stumbled in turn over superficial roots and hurtled down over the mossy weeds & soil with an even louder crash due the beast's bulk.

Another Lindsay's sculpture. Attribution

I hit my head on the turf and got scratched all over.

My initial stunned condition prevented me from realizing at first that the picta had vanished but her horse was lying down on the ground nearby and was letting out neighs of pain.

Hælend, up already instead, was calmly approaching the Italian thoroughbred which she coldly executed with three violent (and accurate) kicks in the head.

Hælend looked at me, a look of revenge in her eyes. The victory of valour over nobility? Well, how could I blame her. Moreover the white stallion was wounded and had to be dispatched. The wolves that haunt the forest would have caused him a horrible death.

Hælend then walked towards me. The expression of her eyes revealed kindness, concern. She licked my wounds and as if by miracle I immediately felt better. I got up and stretched. Hector, my gladius, was still on me and my helmet I found behind a bush.
Hælend, satisfied, was already in a nearby meadow grazing Albion's emerald grass.

Well, Quintus, we know too well she isn't as classy as an Italian horse (I can well believe it!) but what a fantastic gift from the Angles and the Genii protecting our Rome!
Therefore I couldn't but chant:

Non ergo essem
dei Romae mei
Orientisque Aegyptorumque,
non omnino essem,
nisi essetis in me...
[I wouldn't exist then
Ye gods of Rome,
Of Egypt & the Orient,
I wouldn't exist
If ye weren't in me ...]

Isis mothering. Credits

This song, performed with Egyptian tones (I'm a decent singer, I'll admit) was followed by a profound growling that left me disconcerted, since the forest animals had fallen silent, frozen.

I became afraid. Had my psalm been inappropriate? Had the British gods gotten angry at how I had dealt with that red-headed Albion's daughter?
The thing is, lost as I was in my doubts I hadn't noticed the Creature. Who with quiet footsteps was heading toward me.


She,
Feral Being, goat goddess
By shepherds & peasants loved
And horribly feared,
Emerged before me.


This is how we imagine Fauna. Sculpture from the Norman Lindsay gardens. Lindsay was an Australian artist, sculptor, writer, editorial cartoonist, scale modeler & boxer (1879-1969). Attribution


The Creature, daughter of Hermes and Dryope, let out a cry and the wood resounded.

Then she seized me, her body steaming with humours. One cannot escape from a goddess ...

My surrender to such a beastly pleasure let go from my memory the rumour that those dei inferi were supposed to have died with the advent of Christ ...

Not that it mattered. A sudden tune played on marsh reeds made ​​the air vibrate together with my senses.

Too late I realized my foolhardiness. The last beam of sunlight, violent and unexpected, pierced the scene and Pan's cry was heard again, terrifying.

Uncontrollable panic shook my whole person.

And Fauna, Bacchus' lascivious companion, - arms hands legs and bodies giving and receiving pleasure - gripped with extreme violence what makes me a man.

My scream, though not panic as hers, ripped through the night that was about to lazily fall upon the wood.

All then was nothing. Darkness closed in.

20 comments:

  1. What's the saying -- "never lose your head over a piece of" -- well, never mind.

    What with the tattoos, this is becoming a little "blue."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly the witch was not out to kill you or she would have easily done it. Could Manius be just a fraidycat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an ancient pitch, as Frank says:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIZIBm2QGaM

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sledpress, Potsoc, Jenny

    I had said not to read before post completion lol. In any case text is almost ready plus still have to choose the right pics.

    Thanks for being here people. I got you waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. C'est ce qui se passer si on fréquente jeunes filles anglaises.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Philippe

    I always knew one should not frequent them, which is exactly the reason why one has 'le désir de le faire' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jenny

    As usual you plunge us into a world of American refinement.

    Hadn't heard before this song sung by Frank, the adorable ratpack guy. I'll paste the lyrics for readers' benefit and because they're terribly romantic.

    _______

    Witchcraft

    Those fingers in my hair
    That sly come hither stare
    That strips my conscience bare
    It's witchcraft

    And I've got no defense for it
    The heat is too intense for it
    What good would common sense for it do

    'Cause it's witchcraft, wicked witchcraft
    And although, I know, it's strictly taboo

    When you arouse the need in me
    My heart says yes indeed in me
    Proceed with what your leading me to

    It's such an ancient pitch
    But one I wouldn't switch
    'Cause there's no nicer witch than you

    _______

    Well, ancient-pitch witchcraft, right, but whether it is wicked or not it remains to be seen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speaking of sly come-hither stares: "Please don't read this yet" is the oldest trick in the book for getting people to read.

    And wicked isn't always bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Sledpress

    What's the saying -- "never lose your head over a piece of"

    Well, Manius I'll repeat being both from ancient Rome and from the ancient Taurini has ehm self-control enrooted blah blah.

    But there are limits. Males are stupid and a woman's curves etc. Plus witchcraft, let's face it, also great Frank (much tougher than Manius) confessed:

    "I've got no defense for it
    'Cause it's witchcraft, wicked witchcraft .."

    So one question arises: is the witch wicked? He who is writing would love to know too ;-)

    Now I am reading Jenny. I'll get to her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jenny

    YES! You're right, let us be wicked then! ;)
    And, will this novel be?

    That's another (possibly VERY moronic) question to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Paul
    Fraidy cat? Manius Papirius Lentulus? Wait and see man (*lauching the gauntlet*) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Witches manifest only the wickedness that is in others' hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, let's say Manius likes to fool around a bit or he wouldn't be the incarnation of MoR in a parallel universe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two mice were chatting alongside railway tracks. One's tail was resting on the track when a train rolled by. Feeling the wheels on her tail, she turned around and was decapitated by the other set of wheels. The other mice said:"Don't lose your head over a little piece of tail".

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Paul
    Ah ah ah Paul, you're really something!

    ReplyDelete
  16. See Manius - what sort of man he is
    You can see how glad and not sad he is
    His weapons so short
    He'll spike Brits for sport
    Quam ceteri cucurrit celerius.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Richard

    Manius' weapons are 'short' in order to be 'celerius' in sword fight, not for any other reason, you bad bad homo Britannicus!

    You are glad and you always make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't let my silliness detract from the beautiful, sensitive and carefully researched story you are slowly and patiently drawing us into.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Somehow I lost my identity
    Richardus (Alias Questioner)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Questioner (alias Richardus)

    You are too kind dear Questioner. I only hope I won't disappoint you.

    But, silliness (and yours is special in the good sense of the word) is welcome here together with serious stuff. The name of the blog itself is ‘mix folly with wisdom' (of the Ancients).

    Let me tell you I have learned a lot from you wonderful people, the British, you possessing both elements, which makes life interesting, sparkling.

    ReplyDelete