Monday 9 May 2011

Witch 1. Introducing Hælend and Wulf. A magic wood and lo, a picta damesel

A Celtic witch? One never knows. Ophelia by the Victorian pre-Raphaelite
painter John William Waterhouse (1849-1917). Credits

Manius Quinto sal.

[…] I can finally tell you my tower is close to the sea, **** miles from Londinium, **** miles from Venta Icenorum, reachable from the Antonini Itinerarium. Now you know where I am. Please send me the area maps. […]

It's not the only reason I am writing. Horrible (and marvellous) things have happened and I do not know where to start.

I went into the woods with Hælend, my medium sized but powerful steed that Wulf my German friend gave me as a gift to celebrate our friendship - an amazing Angle, Wulf, he's teaching me the Ænglisc ways and his absolute truthfulness of heart has given me animus to rebel against cruel Fortune: being trapped in an alien land, bereft of properties, of slaves (only two I have bought at the Ænglisc market), of real defence and, most of all, of Clelia's deep love and warm presence.

'O Fortuna, velut Luna, statu variabilis ..'
O Fortune, like the moon, you always change ..
Depiction of Fortune at a much later age

But as Lucius Annaeus Seneca teaches us:

Fortuna opes auferre, non animum, potest
[Fortune can rob our wealth but not our courage]

Boldness, yes. But how can I describe Hælend? Well, at first was I disappointed: our horses look so much better and she appeared even worse than most German steeds (such horrible yellowish colour!) but I was so surprised when I saw how she could endure any strain with ease and could compete with, and often win over, even the nobler Roman breeds (this big German clan I've been kinda absorbed into possesses a dozen beautiful Roman horses btw) and yet she's also so amazingly mild (and weird; should I hide that?)

I'll tell you. Having received a bad blow by a towering German during a few sword fight exercises - a deep bleeding cut was showing on my left arm -, Hælend came close to me and (Aesculapius!) much to the surprise of the onlookers (Wulf was absent) she started to lick my wound with her long (and rough) tongue: sweet Queen of heaven I cried when I saw the wound healed in just two days!!

I digressed.

Roman soldier in colder climates
So while getting deep into the forest in search of game but armoured in the Roman way like I always do when I explore territory or hunt (one never knows), with Hælend scrutinizing the terrain with her non human senses – were she a woman she'd certainly be a Sibyl but I prefer her as my horse frankly, I had too many domineering sisters.

I was wearing a Roman helmet with a wolf's skin on top, German bow and arrows, my favourite gladius Hector, a pilum (or javelin) in my left hand plus two strange dogs Marius and Caesar (though adorable and surely Diana's favourites) which I bought from a very old & rich German woman being carried on her lectica, or litter, by 4 young and good-looking slaves of dubious race.

By the way - another digression - I was hit by her face, that was so wrinkled I couldn't see her eyes, and by a pair of showy gilded brooches she wore that fastened her embroidered wool tunic, with strings of beads hanging between them - an ornament oh you'll agree Quintus an Italian, Gallic or Romano British woman would never wear but that gave her this, hard to say, 'new look' I found attractive after all, kind of 'new British' you know.

It's as if this emerald island were perhaps timidly finding her own ...

Enough. I do hate this place.

Alglo-Saxon gilded saucer brooches "worn in pairs
at the shoulder to fasten a dress, often with
strings of beads hanging between them."
British museum (credits & explanation)


As I was saying, it's hard to tell how we got into a very incomprehensible place.

I mean while advancing forward in such beautiful wetlands rich with birds, eagles and wolves I began to realize the landscape was slowly changing and getting perceptibly moisture-less. It had basically turned into a weird wood which much to my surprise couldn't be too far from where my tower is located.

Moreover I vaguely felt the place familiar but also odd: shrieks were all around from crazy night birds - but it was day time Quintus!
 
And then I felt it.

["What the hell did you feel" - I'm sure you'll ask.]

Deep forest. Click for attribution

OK. I felt the magic of a new world that was familiar and strange as I said since unordered and yet almost invisibly arranged by some crazy intelligence - a bit like what is more evidently displayed in our Italian gardens, that reflect the arrangement of mathematical reason.

Trees plants flowers of many sorts with their colours and exhilarant perfumes (voluptuous spring was radiating her magic ...) and butterflies, insects, animals flying and jumping about, both night and day creatures all awake as if nature had confused her laws Virgo mea!

But this is not the point, friend.

["What on earth is the point now", you'll again ask you having always been the stereotyped practical Roman]

Well, the point being that this area showed, more distinctly than any landscape, to possess a soul. I clearly felt such place's divinity, id est plants, huge trees and living things all formed like a savage, and yet not unordered, world exuding a primeval anima or vital force that awesome Greek minds identified with the eternal and intoxicating goat-horned, goat-legged numen Πάν (now dead as they said) and old days' rustic Romans with Faunus (dead too).

Pan and Daphnis. Goat-horned, goat-legged deities were
many (male, female and unfortunately children).
Very unconventional they were, not far from Satyrs
I then couldn't but kneel down and whisper our Celtic bard Virgil's sacred verses:

Tu, Tityre, lentus in umbra
formosam resonare doces
Amaryllida silvas

[You sit careless in the shade, o Tityrus,
and 'Amaryllis!'
(woods-wandering enchantress
& flute player),
you bid the woods resound]

Ah but I had to wake up from my dream since Hælend started to get very nervous. What was the matter?

We turned around and … the dogs were gone! Such gifted animals, can you believe that?

Vanished.

Why these premonitions? Which envious god desired to whack me?

My life was, is miserable. I live like a savage while I had properties & thousands of slaves. Now I dwell in a lousy tower and possess just two young women I bought from the Germani - not at all bad, right - but the one with exotic almond eyes is so small and half dead I have in truth only one and a half.

Along the left, longer side of such space - an almost perfect rectangle - there she appeared in my sight:

A beautiful woman standing on the green grass with glowing red hair, her skin white and so amazingly pale as a moon creature - something so exotic for a Roman.

Her flesh colour even paler than the German women's, she was wearing an equally pale wool tunica with a majestic white horse behind her (of Roman breed no doubt), calmly grazing the beautifully green grass, the princely animal's coat having the same incomprehensible pale snow colour.

I recognized her immediately.

This woman Manius had first met.
Why now she looks like a damsel?

It was that picta who had scared the hell out of me near my tower and was now disguised (very poorly I thought) as a lady.

Disguised as a lady? The idea railed me and I thought such savage needed a good lesson from a civilized son of Rome.

Yes, it was time for some revenge and fun why not?


You know Quintus this ancient grudge that Celtic - how can you know damn, you're 100% Roman - or half Celtic (especially from the West Alps) Romans such as I am - have, vis-à-vis Picts and Caledonii so darn allergic to Romanization.


A Roman slave auction as imagined by Jean Léon Gérome (c.1884). Enlarge

I recall this Caledonian slave locked in a cage at a slave auction in Augusta Taurinorum: a nice open air square surrounded by our white and monumental peaks all around. Her cage had been placed on a wooden platform, her attractive body all bluish from paint and tattoos.

Out of curiosity I got closer in order to touch her strange hair but she bit my hand fiercely.

Her master wanted to flog her publicly to set an example but although I gave him a few coins (to stop that, she was just a savage after all) I seldom forget when people hurt me.

Did she hurt me deeply? Well, OK, whatever my reasons in any case I definitely felt the beautifully pale lady needed punishment, Quintus, I don't know why.

Light punishment perhaps, I am not a bad man, all I needed, I now imagine, was just some relief from all the sorrows that plagued my heart.

ψ

I therefore advanced in her direction.

29 comments:

  1. Manie carissime, you are, for a Roman legionaire, quite a decent fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Paule carissime.

    In any case yes, I'm trying to depict a Roman legionnaire of that age with all his different mentality vis-à-vis ours, at least as I see it.

    Maius is good, and a lot of him is in us modern men, but quand même he's a Roman (half intellectual and half soldier) of the 6th century CE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would comment, but I'm afraid. Manius, however good he may be, is in a punishing mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ave Jennia.

    You are damn right, damn right, and of course you are adorable what can I say ...

    Maybe if you read here you'll better understand:

    http://manofroma.wordpress.com/2009/01/05/caesar-great-man-and-don-juan/

    Oh, not that I'm Caesar sweet domna, but if these were the ways of the best man in Rome, well well, us, simple legionnaires ...

    Btw, you'll think I am kidding but I am not.

    Yours.

    Manius Papirius Lentulus
    Soldier of Rome

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very interested in Haelend. She may have been schooled by Cricket of the Dale.

    This story is excellent, especially so because I laughed OUTLOUD twice.

    But I am concerned about the puppies.

    And last, let me just observe that there is much to be said about Gerome by his art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear sweet Hyperborean, your presence has constantly the power to mesmerize me.

    Thus being said, I am not a writer and am just having fun.
    'Fun, why not' Manius says: this is my philosophy as well, which is not strange since Manius is part of mia persona.

    Knowledge and hedonism are one to both of us - a notion implying not just books ça va sans dire Chaerie the faerie ;-)

    Thus again being (stupidly?) said, I have great plans for Haelend, and your stories have certainly inspired me.

    Didn't get what you mean about Jean Léon Gérome. He's labelled as an Academician painter, a label I couldn't care less about, especially because it is stupid also imho, but certainly painting and sculpting are arts I have cultivated less, altho I have some feeling for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS
    [forgot to sign]

    Manius Lentulus tuus

    [who lentus in umbra
    formosam resonare docet
    hyperboream Cheriannam]

    Well, we teach each other, it is clear

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those dogs are up to no good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Sled, and I wonder why they disappeared ... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hælend and Wulf left to become boatbuilders.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After Titanic experience, they came back to you, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ".......A beautiful woman standing on the green grass with glowing red hair, her skin white and so amazingly pale as a moon creature......"

    Quand je lisais cette phrase je ai pensé de Loreena McKennitt, qui compose et chante la musique celtique, et joue de la harpe.

    Elle a *cheveux rouge flottants*, et quand elle était jeune, elle était belle. Sa musique est belle aussi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Philippe, merci d’être ici.

    Je connais un peu la musique de Loreena McKennitt, et je l'ai toujours trouvée raffinée, composée et mystique. Et oui, elle était belle, mais I am sure she is beautiful also today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I play her music in my studio now and then... but that hair is practically blonde.

    Here's some red hair, just for grins.
    http://sledpress.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/cheveux-rouge.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sled you have quite a mane.

    ReplyDelete
  16. O.K., the lioness roars. Sorceress and lioness, a very nice but dangerous mix. Run for the shelters.

    ReplyDelete
  17. http://sledpress.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/rawr.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  18. ah ah ah. So cute. That is the lioness then?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sled, I am on Linux Backtrack, and my name is Massimo. Be careful since I have at least 400 pen tests here to carry on ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The roar must be worse than the bite.

    ReplyDelete
  21. M, -- does that mean something kind of rude?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sled, could I be unkind to a witch and to the adorable critter you call a (mini) tiger?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I was asking Manius about his pen tests. (How rude that sounds!)

    I do not think you could be unkind to anything, Paul. i imagine ou opening the window rather than swatting a fly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Sled, Chatterbox's back.

    Well, ok, it sounds rude but 'penetration test' is the correct techie term for blessed procedures helping PCs in a client-server network (private: office, home, more secure; public: Inter-net, not secure at all: we are ALL wired to the Internet) to resist attacks by actually trying to pen test them.

    Incidentally, no PC unless physically isolated can resist ALL pen tests.

    Massimo, who is living his Inferno (waiting for Purgatorio and Paradiso I guess) is an excellent hacker who can hack ANY pc on ANY network.

    Is he good? Is Deirdre good?

    The answer is written in the stars ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Or is it "blowing in the wind?"

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is also blowing in the wind.

    ReplyDelete