Tuesday 15 February 2011

A readheaded witch disappears in the woods. The Angles. An angel smiling



MANIUS QUINTO SAL.

Dear Quintus, never friendship is so dear as in times of distress.

I have found a big box of codices and scrolls together with a few amphorae of decent Gallic wine in a Romano-British farm set on fire by the barbarians. All had been well concealed under the cellar floor.

Vita hominis sine literis mors est, or, man's life without learning is death.

And yet, when I look at these unclean, uneducated German Angles, I cannot but admire some virtues they have (and we haven't any more). And they were after all often able to rout the Romano-British. Although when they see the huge buildings the Romans built they think we are a people of giants!

Britain in 550 CE. Manius is somewhere with the Angles. Credits

The question Quintus now arises: can man live fully in total ignorance? Or even, nihil scire vita jucundissima? 'Tis the merriest life to know nothing?

Speaking of Celts I met a strange red-head in the woods around my tower full of marshes, bears, wolves and eagles. She was collecting herbs and berries and had a curiously coloured & scanty dress, her pale skin adorned with paint and tattoo motifs all over.

On seeing me she shrieked and disappeared like a night bird but I kept feeling her eyes on me while even my hounds couldn't perceive her presence any more. Hercle! So eerie it was I deemed wiser to get back to my crenellated refuge.

I later wondered if she could speak Latin. It’d be such a joy to hear sentences spoken in our beautiful language, whatever inflection they may have. But she may be dangerous.

I'm trapped with the Angles, Quintus meus, though they are kind enough to me.

They probably see me like a dwarf, or a clown. The giant Romans of their imagination, you know ... They ignore they are the real giants, they being in truth much bigger than the average Roman.

They are blond, blue-eyed, fair-skinned, extremely rude-mannered and, well, stinking. Not that I smell that better. I miss the comfort of our thermal baths!

Pensive and silent they may nonetheless suddenly burst into a sort of Polypheme’s laughter:

AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH.

Jupiter!

Besides, bibunt ut Gothi, they drink like the Goths, or even more. I swear I’ve never seen people getting THAT drunk.

But I'm beginning to like their silence. Romans are such chatter-boxes (I am, as you know). Think of our Cicero: what a windbag although I’ll admit five of his precious works retrieved in that cellar express in sound old-times Latin so many gems of the sweet Greeks' wisdom.

I am again exercising my body thanks to my new friends. We fight, run, ride and throw arrows, all for the simple joy of being alive. They are kind enough not to break my neck and I feel much better after so many years of sedentary work.

I return to my tower in the evening where I frugally have my dinner and, lost in reading and thought, I sip what is left of my Gallic amphorae.

Unfortunately, vina parant animos Veneri, id est wine prepares our souls for Venus.

I noticed that some Anglia women are looking at me with a bit of curiosity. Some of them are very attractive and sturdy. I guess I appear different to them. And I think I perceived in at least a couple of them that naughty look that is universally unmistakable.

In truth, dear Quintus, alius est amor, alius cupido, love is one thing, lust quite another.

A Roman girl painted by the Victorian Alma Tadema
The latter would void my soul in a moment of loneliness where I feel badly in need of Clelia’s black eyes and tender smile.

Where is she now on earth? Did she forget me?

The last time we met we spent some time in an Augustan garden (in North West Italy) overlooking the Padus river. All was so glorious, beautiful, with scented flowers all over the place and the Alpine peaks towering in the background.

Clelia wore a shining garland on her black hair and a dress that made her look like a Vestal, or a Christian angel ...




Manius tuus.

29 comments:

  1. Poor Manlius could you be going batty for lack of sex with a loved one? Part of this sounds slightly delirious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Paul

    Part of this sounds slightly delirious.
    It doesn't sound. It is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delicately limbed Roman caught among mystical Celtic and burly Germanic women oozing sexual energy, with amphorae of abandoned Roman wine lying about: this must end spectacularly, and possibly cataclysmically....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Andreas

    this must end spectacularly, and possibly cataclysmically

    It will, Andreas, and I'd like to release energy (and stupid liveliness?) also along the way.

    After your encouragement (given your German ancestors, wow) I feel like posting the wildest soap stuff ever written by a non writer dilettante :-)

    Grazie to be here amico

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where the Wild Things Are!

    Let the wild rumpus begin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jenny

    Every two posts - here or at the MoR - Paul, whom I value, chastises me.

    You and Andreas, encourage me.

    What to do?

    Roman-like I cannot but be faithful to my new blog’s title:

    ADD (a lot of) FOLLY TO (what is left of our) WISDOM.

    I have nothing to lose ...

    PS

    Wild rumpus? Luved the expression Jenny (cute new picture btw, though too small).

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Wild rumpus" is a Maurice Sendak expression from his beloved children's tale WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE about a boy who travels to a mythical land of wild creatures, but, in the end, yearns to go home. Hmm.

    Paul, whom you rightly value, only mock-chastises.

    Where Andreas encourages, of course you must persevere.

    As for me, I just like story hour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being delirious can be delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so dislike this blog that I have added it to my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. More will arrive. Thanks to your infos (MoR speaking) now I know where Manius can be. We'll soon meet at the harbour you ao kindly indicated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Say hello to Richard for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will Paul. If you come too, you'll be Paulus if you will, and he, if he wills also, Richardus.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the Brythonic version is Ruiseart. But it depends whether you want to Romanize him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No need to Romanize names when not historically necessary. But then I need help. One option could be that each character could choose his /her own name.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Should I be in that port when you arrive, I will be disguised as Pavlos a Greek merchant mariner selling olives and olive oil along with some Retsina.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’m Abbey of the West Woods,
    Red headed and fair.
    I carry a sword,
    And live wing to prayer.

    I bid you travelers,
    Follow this thread.
    To the Moon of the myths,
    Where poets and lovers aren’t dead.

    I must go now. Later, perhaps!
    My horse Tess is restless,
    And the sea calls me back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why do you have two blogs? This one is "Must Be 18" and the other is for the whole family?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quite the contrary so far Vienna (the future is hard to tell).

    There are posts at the Man of Roma where I tell minors to please not read any further.

    See my series *Sex and the city (of Rome)*. At the page footer you find links to the other chapters.

    Happy you came here Vienna. I love your culture of origin very much.

    Mind that when a Roman says something he needs not add 'I really mean it' :-)

    It could be 'captatio benevolentiae' though since your humour is powerful.

    It is not.

    Manius Paiprius Lentulus

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Abbey

    Sweet Abbey of the West Woods, who are you on this earth? Please follow our journey and be our companion. To the moon of the myths? A Celtic Diana? A siren since the sea calls you back?

    Are you that gentle angel, Abbie read-head,
    Among the faithless faithful only she,
    Among innumerable false unmoved
    Unshaken, unterrified and unseduced?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Philippe has the option on Blogspot as "name/URL"
    in the profile window.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @manius

    I will be your companion,
    guiding you and your mates,
    Tho I cannot be constant,
    I have a strange fate.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, no British adventure is complete unless there's someone beset with a wyrd. This looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Sledpress

    Salutation includes also you Sled Witch. Hadn't seen you. G'nite.

    PS
    Beset with a wyrd? G-o-s-h, I'm trapped in big trouble, lacking the fundamental knowledge. Gotta catch up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. There is nothing weird in being beset by a wyrd. We are all entangled in the mesh of destiny.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Telling minors not to read any further is definitely the most effective strategy to get them to read further.

    Adding "I really mean it" to selected statements is always a bad idea, for it suggests that one doesn't really mean all one's other statements that lack this affirmation.

    Similarly, since your other blog states clearly that it has no commercial purpose, I must conclude that this one does. So what are you selling?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Our world citizen friend has stated one fact, one interpretation and one speculation. Not bad and in three sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Paul

    Very well said indeed.

    @Cyberquill

    Vienna, fellow 'continental'.

    Your logical ability to split hairs reminds me of your countryman Ludwig Wittgenstein a bit.

    I'm instead what in pop psychology one'd say a 'right brain'. In any case:

    Num 1. I agree.
    Num 2. It's not my problem since it's not my habit.
    Nuim 3. I sell only cheap dreams. And for free.

    ReplyDelete