Tuesday 1 March 2011

Manius found. A ship sailing towards Albien. Massimo in the Subura



Salita Dei Borgia. Subura. Rome.
Click here for credits
It's time to confess that he who is writing conceals (and shares) within his soul the Genius of Manius Papirius Lentulus. What is a Genius? It is the numinous every ancient Roman harbours in his soul (a woman has the Juno), a bit like a guardian spirit or what the Christians since Manius' time will soon call a guardian angel.

Names may change, but basically ...

ψ

Hey, how the heck can a Genius be shared by both a 62-years-old man of today and an ancient Roman soldier of 35 trapped in ancient Britain?
(and, what’s more, living in a parallel universe even if almost identical to ours?)

Hey, why the heck do you people think I know.

ψ

Giorgio, he who is writing, has had that horrible dream again last night.

In the subsequent evening he is phoning Massimo, a black-haired 33-year-old athletic Roman, once an excellent soccer player and Giorgio's former pupil (and now friend).

Massimo, dumped by his wife (and not holding together much since then) has moved to a small flat in Monti, Rome, a rione corresponding more or less to ancient Subura, the slum district of ancient Rome, (in)famous for its dubious tabernae, brothels and gangs [more on Subura here].

The place, today clean and fashionable, still hides incidentally a few dubious locals and the police mostly turn a blind eye: ancient traditions are hard to die in this country, you know. Out of respect. And out of do-nothingness ...

ψ

Giorgio has tried quite a lot during the last 6 months to help Massimo move on. But recently it is him that is calling his ex-student for help.

Giorgio: “Always these horrible dreams! A few nights ago the death of Theodoric the Great, this old man, his white hair all over his big chest protected by a plate crammed with jewels, lying on a sumptuous bed placed at the centre of an immensely vivid mosaic.

With the calm, unwavering voice of the true leader Theodoric was recommending to the weeping Goths that they should love the Roman senate and the Roman people, and that they should appease the Eastern emperor through their deeds and with the help of God.

Again, two nights ago, I dreamt about the perverse though beautiful face of a woman dancer, then about the whole of her luscious body since she was dancing almost naked all around me and finally ended up morphing into a princess or  queen. Aah, she looked shrewd, perfidious wearing her radiant Byzantine attire.

So you see, my dreams change. Only two elements in them never do."


Massimo: “La roscia and the fricken soldier?”

[roscia = read-headed woman in Roman dialect, pronounced 'rosha'; fricken, you may know already]

Giorgio: “Yes, la roscia and that young ancient Roman living in a tower with marshes infested by wolves and blondish savages all around. I know it's been one month that I've been exhausting you with my nightmares.

Last night la roscia, as blue-skinned as ever, was wearing a strange gray wool dress with a green veil that covered her neck and partly her face, a hunting horn hanging from her belt. She suddenly looked at me with eyes that pierced my soul so violently I felt dizzy and hit my head on a tree. Hercle! I cried I dunno why. Surrounded by hordes of cats she then began to twirl around a trunk with chains fastened to its ends and bronze balls hanging from the chains.

Massimo: “Ah Prof, sure you're not depressed like me? Since Giulia left my life is shit.”

Giorgio: "Daje a Ma' … I'm ok, really. In any case I thought the read-head was about to hit me with the bronze balls but my limbs got frozen and I woke up wet from sweat and couldn't get back to sleep until I took some melatonin and was soon snoring like a boar and dreaming again - Flavia told me. 

And then I saw them.”

Massimo: “You saw who.”

Giorgio: “A small group of people on the deck of a light Roman merchant vessel, "about 100 feet long and 20 feet in the beam" (see image below and credits) leaving the port of Vada Sabatia, not far from today's Genoa, on the North West Italian coast. Men and women on their 30s dressed in the ancient manner and appearing as long time buddies. The weird part, it's as if I knew them already in some way.”

A Roman merchant vessel


Massimo: "What?"

Giorgio: "Yes, then all changed and we were in a place similar to the north French coast, light rain, wind, silvery water all around. I was on deck too trying to get closer to the buddies' group but again my limbs were frozen.

I then called them, called them and kept yelling the same words over and over."

Massimo: "Which words."

Giorgio: "Anglia in orientem spectans! Anglia in orientem spectans!
And also:
Septentrionalis Icenorum regio! Septentrionalis Icenorum regio!

What does all this mean for Chrissake!!"



Massimo: "Easy Prof, it's simple:  Anglia gazing towards the East. In the northern area of the land of the Iceni."

Giorgio: "That I understood, the question though being: what the hell is this all about. I have checked. It's somewhere in Britain on the eastern coast (near Hunstanton?) where the Wash is located, a square-mouthed bay where Norfolk meets Lincolnshire - I read on the Wiki [see images on the left and below]. I feel like something is brewing.

I mean, if you have spare time and wanna forget Giulia for a while (it'd do you good) why don't you help me understand?"

Massimo kept silent for a while.

The Wash bay today

Giorgio: "What I forgot to say, five new passengers joined us when we were leaving France, I think, ie Gaul. Two elegant women (two Syrian courtesans I heard), two men clad in black and red, a bit vicious looking and speaking to nobody (one with a hawk-like face), and a blue-eyed good natured Greek merchant in his 30s as well who was bound to South East Britannia to sell his goods (olives, olive oil & resinated wine) to the Romano-Celtic population.

Because of the wind I heard only fragments of their names:  Ch’ae…Rich..., Phi, ...Jen....L..And...Ze...Dou...Daf....An...Cyb...etc. Very confusing. But Pavlos, that name I heard clearly (the Greek perhaps?)

And when I was shouting those words one of the buddies suddenly brightened up (Rich?), looked at me in astonishment and began to shout back even louder, at the top of his lungs:

ANGLIA IN ORIENTEM SPECTANS! ANGLIA IN ORIENTEM SPECTAANS! SEPTENTRIONALIS ICENORUM REGIOOOOOO!

(For God's sake I thought).

Then a few of them started to yell those same words with a weird measured pulse so that they could both sing and dance:

ANG GLI
NORIE NTEM
SPEC TANS
SPEC SPEC TANS TANS
TANS TANS TAANS GLI
TANS TANS ICEE TAAAAAAAAANS!!

(Oh my God I thought).

But after a while we were all dancing like mad and drinking idromele - the girls being not at all bad and a big amphora of that honey wine having soon appeared as if by magic (the Greek merchant? As soon as he had joined the journey, his pensive eyes always looking in the distance, he had appeared like the eternally resourceful Ulysses ...)

One last funny (but horrible) detail: when I woke up I was drunk and my legs tired as if I had danced all night!"

Silence for a few moments.

Then Massimo,loweringly, uttered his words:

"Prof, you are nuts like me or even worse ... Yesterday I saw Giulia in via del Corso with that motherfucker. They were shopping - Armani, Gucci, you name it, the jackass is filthy rich. I was about to reach them and squash that bastard's face like a pumpkin but instead headed home and got drunk. I can't go on like that for long I suppose ...”

Massimo switched off his phone and went out.

He felt angry and depressed. Even his good ex teacher was now giving clear signs of insanity. The final straw, beyond any doubt.

He spent a long time in an Irish pub close by (Finnegan's, at the Salita dei Borgia, see picture at the top of the page) after which he found himself out in the cool of the night.

ψ

Less windows were lit now.

The rione was quieter.

A drunk whore was walking unhurriedly down the dimly lit Salita.

A cat was croaking like a frog behind a trash container.

Strange metamorphoses, in the deep of a night full of chaos (and sorrow).

Click for credits and to enlarge


Lo osservava da tempo
nume dagli occhi impassibili,
le parche, mani rugose,
filando la lana ...


[A numen had since long
Been watching him, eyes impassive.
The Parcae, wrinkled hands,
Spinning their thread ...]





33 comments:

  1. Ah, you see, even the German language is anachronistically evolving and throwing off puns in this dream.

    "TANZ! TANZ!" As they tanz all around the deck.

    Now I am off to look up wiki-articles about all these places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. Where am I going with you all? The scene shifts and dialogues and atmosphere make me want to lie down on a red rug (or maybe a flying carpet from Syria).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forward!, Forward! No more delay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's make haste and reach the shore before we get hit by one of those Nort Sea storms and I lose my olives, olive oil and my precious Retsina.
    Pavlos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Blessed Caridwen! You've got Retsina? Let's dicker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah you people. I love you all. Tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sledpress: Retsina is hard to come by in this area. Once in a while I can spot a few bottles on our outlet of the Société de Alcools du Québec (S.A.Q.). Last time there were five. I bought them all, but they are long gone, alas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now Pavlos, that is just criminal (will Manius object to our being anachronistic?). Here in the Boring Capital Of the US I can find Retsina, and also Roditys and Mavrodaphne. O how beautiful they all are, and especially that perfume of pine pitch! I whiff it and imagine the wine's aroma blending with the tarred timbers of an eye-ship and cry "Polydactylos thalassos!"

    Which takes us back to Manius on board ship of course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Sledpress

    Excellent intuition. I ask permission to change the last TANS into TANZ (but I'll wait till you say YES though). I'm not against some collaboration and input.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Cheri

    The Syrian carpet is slippery ground. Those two Syrian elegant women are, well, courtesans. As you often say you being the good girl who always does her homework in due time, turning in another universe into a marvellous hetaera could mean … a big change :-)

    Not that dishonourable in any case. We are in ancient times. Pericles himself – impersonating the best civilisation ever possibly, classical Athens - preferred the love of elegant, refined, greatly cultivated Aspasia to that of a good girl.

    :-)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Cheri

    PS. Good girls in antiquity – I don’t need to remind you - were often boring since parents seldom invested in their instruction. Which may explain Pericles’ choice, or medieval Japanese men who often preferred highly cultivated geishas (expert in music, poetry, Venus’ gentle arts etc.) to their stern wives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Richard
    I'm not as fast as you people from Albien. I need my pace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Jenny
    Choose a name. Roles are infinite. I'll just mention: Manius' schoolmate, elf, hetaera, girl from Albien, you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Paul Potsoc

    What I just said to Richard applies to Manius vs Canadians.

    With the help of Pavlos' gods may his / your goods reach destination.

    But I must find a way for Pavlos to join the group. They need a resourceful Greek. Danger is approaching.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Pavlos
    @Sledpress

    Wow, you guys love Retsina I notice. I too since - as I said 777 times - I met Flavia in Greece and we drank barrels of it. Strange that you don't have a bigger supply where you live Pavlos. You bad bad man, you grab all of it! And the other poor Greeks out there? :-)

    Resin - need I remind you - is excellent for keeping the wine without preservatives, which helps our stomachs (mine at least).

    Sledpress, Manius will not object to anachronisms since they makes all more lively for everyone! Besides only the names have changed since the technique of resinated wine had no interruption until today. A technique as it is known only modern Greeks have preserved as far as I know (which is evidence of how interesting these people are).

    In antiquity it was a general habit instead, among other options. In Vienne (not Vienna but a town in Gaul ie France) along the Rhone the Allobroges produced excellent resinated wine: ah the French, the French! Even then!

    [But allow me now Italians export more wine to the US than they do :-) ]

    I can't help to be lengthy ...as anyone can read in the Wiki, “[when] wine was stored in amphorae often sealed with Aleppo pine resin” the resin often leaked into the wine, so an initial annoying problem soon turned into a delight.

    Viva la Retsina! Viva Roditys or Mavrodaphne! Yes, it brings us back to the merchant ship:

    THREATS (but also FUN) are awaiting us all, no matter the universe …

    Will you people be able to handle your strange fate?

    That is the question.

    Manius Papirius Lentulus

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Manlius, there are not that many "Greeks" in Longueuil so I did not deprive anyone of Retsina. In Montreal on upper Park Avenue and on St-Laurent near Duluth, they used to have it since there are many Greeks and Greek restaurants in those parts. But I have no links to the Greeks of these parts. Anyhow, since I don't speak Greek, they would not consider me as one of theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Potsoc Pavols,

    I understand. Maybe not exactly one of them, but half is better than nothing. Language is not all. And I'm sure Greek Canadians do not only speak Greek.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No, they speak English, some, the children of recent immigrants, now speak French since Bill 101 was enacted by a separatist governmemnt. Bill 101, la charte de la langue française, forbids Allophones and Anglophones not born or schooled in English in Canada to send their children to English schools.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We love your "stultitia", dear cousin Lentulus.
    (Sorry for the off topics, but "quando ce vo ce vo".) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Arimondi! Not off-topic at all.

    Well, if one is not stultus at the end of one's life … mo' ce vo, eccome sevce vo (in our daydreams only tho).

    Lemme be now fussy with details in the hope of cagin' you into the story ;-)

    Both our bloods come a bit from the Taurini, the “ancient Celto-Ligurian Alpine folk who occupied the upper valley of the river Padus (Po), in the centre of modern Piedmont”. So it may interest you that part of the action is set in Augusta Taurinorum, today’s Turin, altho Brinannia will be the main focus.

    The reason is this: the group of friends on board (mostly from Britannia), ie my blog friends, looking for their ol' schoolmate Manius, had all together attended school first in Rome and later (in their 30s) at a famous rhetorician’s school in Augusta Taurinorum, a Romano-Celtic-Ligurian town born, it is known, from a Roman military camp.

    Manius had tho decided to leave for Britannia to fight against the German invaders. I want to reconstruct a bit the life in Augusta Taurinorum. It'll be fun. Lots of girls and wine.

    Therefore:

    JOIN US MAN, get a nick man, choose whatever role suits you man.

    We are in 526 AD.


    Manius

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, I guess I am confused. (not surprising since I am so distracted most of the time).

    I thought I was one of the Syrian women?

    Who am I in this story? A good girl or a bad girl?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Chari are not all women alternately good and bad...as for men.
    I would refer you to La Bouboulina.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Chaerie

    I’d prefer you to be part of Manius' buddies (hence hyperborean too) but you can choose from infinite roles: the reincarnation of Boudicca, Theodora (very bad choice), a Christian Angel, a sturdy Angle woman, a magical queen (similar to Rhiannon etc.), any character you like.

    Do not worry people (and Chaerie), I will be gentle. Whatever you don’t like I will change it: manofroma@gmail.com

    I can also first write you and check your desiderata.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Potsoc

    Ah ah ah Paul, I loved your 'Bouboulina' … had a crappy day (because of an idiot) but that’s fuelling me for at least one hour.

    Seems you are ready to have fun my friend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am ever since the defunct New Decameron.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Potsoc alias Pavlos

    Un buono auspicio
    per la nostra storia
    o caro amico
    di ogni baldoria.


    PS
    Why is the New Decameron defunct? It is majestically alive in our memory (and also *here*)
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Potsoc Pavlos

    Manius: Seems you are ready to have fun my friend
    Pavlos: I am ever since the defunct New Decameron.

    Google translate, nah. Here maybe:

    A good auspice
    For our history
    My dear companion
    Of all revelry.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would like to be a magical princess, the type you want to get to know. I prefer a pewter wand that leaves sparks when it hits things.

    I want to be part of the inner circle here, with Manius and his cohorts.

    Is that enough information?

    Remember, I am a Hyperborean, either a faerie or a muse.

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Cheri

    I will remember Hyperborean Chaerie, how can I forget.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Manlius, when are we going to touch land. My poor olives are spoiling and we are getting low on Retsina. Nothing will be left to sell when we disembark. I will be ruined and stranded on foreign soil.
    Hope that at least the tavern will have roastbeef on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  31. And the witch is doing remote viewing and waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Potsoc
    @Sledpress

    Manius is about to come back, id est:

    Manius just told MoR. MoR referred Manius' words to Giorgio. Giorgio then told Giovanni, who forgot to tell you and told MoR instead, who rolling eyes (since he knew already) is now telling you:

    ADVENTURE IS STARTING! STAY TUNED!

    ReplyDelete